The 10 Commandments
1) My life is likely to last 10 to 12 years. Any separation from you will be painful for me. Remember that before you adopt me.
2) Give me time to understand what you want from me.
3) Place your trust in me...it’s crucial to my well-being.
4) Don't be angry with me for long and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your entertainment, and your friends. I only have you.
5) Talk to me. Even if I don't understand your words, I do understand your voice when it speaks to me.
6) Be aware of how you treat me, I will always remember.
7) Remember, before you hit me that I have teeth that could easily crush the bones in your hand but I choose not to bite you.
8) Before you scold me for being uncooperative, obstinate or lazy, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting proper nutrition or I have been out too long in the sun, or my heart is getting old and weak.
9) Take care of me when I get old, you too, will get old.
10) Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say I can't bear to watch it or let it happen in your absence. Everything is easier for me if you are there. Remember my love is unconditional.